According a setting from Quota.com, Gaslighting is a term that is used to describe a specific form of manipulation whereby the person gaslighted is gradually led to doubt their very sanity, their reality, and even their identity.
Have a look at the Quora space ‘Rising above Narcissism’ as it features a lot of information about gaslighting and manipulation.
Gaslighting is perhaps one of the most insidious forms of manipulation as it gradually leads the victim to becoming so dependant upon their tormentor / manipulator that they can barley function.
The method used to gaslight a person essentially involves a combination of;
- Blatant lying and constant cover ups
- The manipulations words are contrary to their behaviours / actions
- Denial of events or conversations that have occurred
- Manipulating others so that you are perceived differently by others, essentially isolating you
- The victims self-esteem begins to gradually erode and they begin to question what is and is not real essentially thinking if they themselves are actually crazy or going crazy
- The victims feels as though they have to defend their reality
Political pundits thrive on Gaslighting.